What's up?

Anything non Star Wars goes here. Talk about everyday events.

Re: What's up?

Postby ctrooper » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:37 pm

Also waiting for school tofinish. Havent really looked into college yet.Ive bought so many games yet I havent been able to finish them. Hell I havent even opened BF3. Maybe I should stopplaying dor some time. Gaming has been a big par of my life for the past couple of years.Maybe I should move on for a while... do other things.Maybe get back to making music on the piano, or sports. :u:
Is that an ancient tibetan dagger in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?
ctrooper
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Scott » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:40 pm

ctrooper wrote:Also waiting for school tofinish. Havent really looked into college yet.Ive bought so many games yet I havent been able to finish them. Hell I havent even opened BF3. Maybe I should stopplaying dor some time. Gaming has been a big par of my life for the past couple of years.Maybe I should move on for a while... do other things.Maybe get back to making music on the piano, or sports. :u:

You can always juggle your hobbies. It's difficult but keeps your days busy and interesting. You can't play baseball in a snow storm.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ctrooper » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:46 pm

Well I meant watching my favorite sports teams. Besieds no snow storms in Florida. :/
Is that an ancient tibetan dagger in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?
ctrooper
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Sam » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:36 pm

Scott wrote:You decided whether to go for your PhD yet?

I plan to, after I take a year out though, been in education for practically my whole life need a break :P

Going to go travelling towards the end of 2012, don't know when I will come back and then hope to find a PhD position afterwards.
Sam
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Scott » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:41 pm

Sam wrote:

I plan to, after I take a year out though, been in education for practically my whole life need a break :P

Going to go travelling towards the end of 2012, don't know when I will come back and then hope to find a PhD position afterwards.

Is it not risky? To leave school stopping your flow of education and money for said education?

Where are you travelling to?
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Sam » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:47 pm

Scott wrote:
Sam wrote:

Is it not risky? To leave school stopping your flow of education and money for said education?

Where are you travelling to?

Perhaps a bit risky but I've thought about this quite a bit. By the time I've finished this academic year I'll have a Masters in Physics at the age of 22 from a top university in the UK. The subject isn't going to progress so much in a year that I no longer have a good enough basis in it to not stand a chance in secure a PhD position when I come back.

On top of that, I've been in education non stop, I'm not going to lie, the last four years have been tough and if I try to take on a PhD with no break, I think I'll burn out and crash out, which would be very bad. As for money flow, yeah I'll probably be taking quite a hit financially but I will be going for a fully funded PhD, which includes a wage (although crap) for you to live off, so I'll get by.

Travelling is something that I have always wanted to do and probably won't get another chance to do it until much later in life before I make a long commitment to something. So its now or never really, unlike a lot of people my age, I have the money to do it (somehow...) so I'm going to do it.

Where you ask? I want to cover quite a large area, get a plane ticket that gives me a certain number of air miles/flights, use that ticket to get me from major regions, use local methods of travel to get around the various areas I want to go to. Places I currently would like to visit include: Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos (maybe..) China, Mongolia, South Korea, Japan, Indonesia, Malaysia, Papua new Guinea, Australia, Figi (Sister says I have to because she likes the name), New Zealand, Chile, Argentina, Paraguay, Brazil, Central America (haven't really worked this one out yet), Mexico, US (work my way across it, I know...its big!), Canada then depending on the time of year I might go to Alaska, and take the trans Siberian express to Moscow and then back to the UK.

I might run out of money and not do all of that, I might need to work up some more money before hand and maybe on my way around but I'll go out and try and do it and see what happens.

Might not work out the way I want it to but the experience will be worth it!
Sam
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Scott » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:55 pm

Wow. What a traveller's log you'll have!

Where are you thinking about visiting in Canada? If you're coming in the winter months stay the hell away from Nitro's home turf :lol:
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Nitro » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:06 pm

Yeah, it's a wee bit chilly here today. :SS
Nitro
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Scott » Fri May 04, 2012 1:30 am

@Sam

The more I learn about history the more I have a desire to travel. So I came back here to prod, you're not going to France? I suppose it'd be likely that you've already been, but seeing locals like the Louvre and, for the love of God, Versailles, would be amazing.

I'd like to travel Europe some day. Places like France, Italy, Germany, Greece and even jolly ol' England would be fascinating to see. I would especially like to see the old architecture and art museums.

You think $500.00 could cover it?
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

Postby DarthRevan19 » Fri May 04, 2012 7:06 am

well since its star wars day im dressed up like Darth Revan and im playing star wars games
Last edited by DarthRevan19 on Fri May 04, 2012 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xbox 360: R3C0N NAT10N
Gamerscore: 13 000
Swtor server: Ajunta Pall
DarthRevan19
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Sam » Fri May 04, 2012 11:15 am

Scott wrote:@Sam

The more I learn about history the more I have a desire to travel. So I came back here to prod, you're not going to France? I suppose it'd be likely that you've already been, but seeing locals like the Louvre and, for the love of God, Versailles, would be amazing.

I'd like to travel Europe some day. Places like France, Italy, Germany, Greece and even jolly ol' England would be fascinating to see. I would especially like to see the old architecture and art museums.

You think $500.00 could cover it?

Europe is definitely a very good place to travel through, as you said, lots of History and different cultures all a stones throw away from each other!

However, it's probably one of the most expensive places to travel around. France (especially Paris!) I know to be very expensive and any area that attracts a lot of tourists would be quite pricey too.

I have been to France but only when passing through (once to stay when I was like 5 but that was for Disney land and doesn't count :P). Been to Italy, Spain, Switzerland and a load of smaller countries like Belgium, all pretty pricey.

I would think that flights to and from Canada alone will through a chunk of your budget. I do not think $500 (£300, €385) will cover what you want to do, I spent that for a week traveling in Spain, probably more. The final price would depend on the length and scope of your trip but I would say you are looking at $3000 ($1800, €2310) if not more to get round those countries.
Sam
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Scott » Fri May 04, 2012 11:38 am

Sam wrote:Europe is definitely a very good place to travel through, as you said, lots of History and different cultures all a stones throw away from each other!

However, it's probably one of the most expensive places to travel around. France (especially Paris!) I know to be very expensive and any area that attracts a lot of tourists would be quite pricey too.

I have been to France but only when passing through (once to stay when I was like 5 but that was for Disney land and doesn't count :P). Been to Italy, Spain, Switzerland and a load of smaller countries like Belgium, all pretty pricey.

The history would be my main attraction to visiting Europe. I never understood why people would want to go somewhere 30 degrees Celsius to get intoxicated when you can see amazing historical landmarks and then drink much better beer in Europe (assuming the beer is German or Canadian).

Paris is pricey? Well that sucks. I'll just have to sleep in the Hall of Mirrors.

I almost forgot about Switzerland! I'd love to go to Geneva. How was Switzerland?

Sam wrote:I would think that flights to and from Canada alone will through a chunk of your budget. I do not think $500 (£300, €385) will cover what you want to do, I spent that for a week traveling in Spain, probably more. The final price would depend on the length and scope of your trip but I would say you are looking at $3000 ($1800, €2310) if not more to get round those countries.

Damn :lol:. It'd be a trip I'd make later in life (preferably with more than $500.00 :8):). It's hard not to get excited about the idea though.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

Postby DarthRevan19 » Fri May 04, 2012 12:34 pm

Scott wrote:
Sam wrote:Europe is definitely a very good place to travel through, as you said, lots of History and different cultures all a stones throw away from each other!

The history would be my main attraction to visiting Europe. I never understood why people would want to go somewhere 30 degrees Celsius to get intoxicated when you can see amazing historical landmarks and then drink much better beer in Europe (assuming the beer is German or Canadian).

Paris is pricey? Well that sucks. I'll just have to sleep in the Hall of Mirrors.

I almost forgot about Switzerland! I'd love to go to Geneva. How was Switzerland?

Sam wrote:I would think that flights to and from Canada alone will through a chunk of your budget. I do not think $500 (£300, €385) will cover what you want to do, I spent that for a week traveling in Spain, probably more. The final price would depend on the length and scope of your trip but I would say you are looking at $3000 ($1800, €2310) if not more to get round those countries.

Damn :lol:. It'd be a trip I'd make later in life (preferably with more than $500.00 :8):). It's hard not to get excited about the idea though.

a trip to europe is $2000
Xbox 360: R3C0N NAT10N
Gamerscore: 13 000
Swtor server: Ajunta Pall
DarthRevan19
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Sam » Fri May 04, 2012 12:40 pm

The beer depends widely where you go, I haven't really clued on to anything that is served everywhere I've been. I find Italian, German and Spanish beers to be the best personally and English ciders (there are some really good, relatively unknown, even to the UK breweries that hit the spot). There is definitely no shortage of choice though.

When I went to Geneva I went to primarily see the LHC, which soaked up a fair amount of time. However, the city was beautiful. I find that most European cities have their own flavour of architecture, most major cities are stunning.

Rome is really nice because it still has a lot of ancient buildings in it (cathedrals, circus maximus, Colosseum etc)

Europe is definitely somewhere you should visit if you are interesting in all of its history.
Sam
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Scott » Fri May 04, 2012 12:49 pm

Sam wrote:The beer depends widely where you go, I haven't really clued on to anything that is served everywhere I've been. I find Italian, German and Spanish beers to be the best personally and English ciders (there are some really good, relatively unknown, even to the UK breweries that hit the spot). There is definitely no shortage of choice though.

I'm not even really a drinker frankly. I've never found any beer or liquor that I felt was worth drinking. I'm not cool enough :lol:

Sam wrote:When I went to Geneva I went to primarily see the LHC, which soaked up a fair amount of time. However, the city was beautiful. I find that most European cities have their own flavour of architecture, most major cities are stunning.

I would go there for the incredibly expensive watches personally. I'd love to see Rolex, Omega, JLC, IWC and other great Swiss watchmaker's HQs. And the independent watchmakers are apparently the best (and most expensive) in the world.

Sam wrote:Rome is really nice because it still has a lot of ancient buildings in it (cathedrals, circus maximus, Colosseum etc)

Europe is definitely somewhere you should visit if you are interesting in all of its history.

I can't think of a cooler place to go on a trip other than Europe.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to General Chit Chat