L.A Noire

Any reviews you may have for games, electronics, or anything else, can be posted here!

L.A Noire

Postby Joelfigbars » Wed May 18, 2011 9:36 pm

I play a lot of games. Some good and some bad. But I sure as hell never experienced anything like L.A Noire. from the soundtrack to even the shadows. it all feels new. I should first say I didn't beat the game yet. As far as I can tell its pretty long and I am already a good 10 hours in. So I know enough to give a pretty good review. I'll split off into sections like I've seen done before in these forums.

[Presentation

This is one area of the game that shines and has an extreme amount of polish. If you have ever seen a Noire film like The Black Dahlia or L.A Confidential you'll feel right at home. The only thing missing from an average Noire movie is long monologues that I live without. I go to school for video/television production and I can tell you that L.A Noire surpasses any other game in how close it is to the cinema experience(Yes even Heavy Rain and mass effect). This is the only game I ever played that I wish the gunfight was over so I can go scour a crime scene. It also should be noted that it is separated into almost tv-like segments with each section having a title and a voice-over from a man I don't know yet. Lastly, Do you remember when you played Uncharted 2 and it went into a cutscene and came back into gameplay and you thought you were still in the cutscene? L.A Noire does this exact thing but tricks you further because of the facial animation. The only thing that ruins it is when black bars appear on the T.V in a attempt to make it letterbox 16:9.

Sound

L.A Noire has such a fitting soundtrack. It also features amazing dialog during interrogations. My favorite part of the sound design is when in a gunfight or on-foot chase Cole will attempt to talk down the enemies. Also there is only one radio station.

Graphics

This game is good looking. The cinematography is amazing and features the most realistic shadows I have ever seen. Of course the star of the game is the facial animation. Its not only in the cutscenes but in the regular game. Every muscle on the face can be looked at and I dare you to play this game and not shoot "I know that guy/girl" when you see an actor you recognize. Also some environments are semi-destructible.

Gameplay

In this game gunplay is second to solving the crime. this isn't GTA or doesn't have a real free roam aspect. You will start each case by going into the crime scene and first scour for clues. This can be extremely easy if you don't go into the main menu and turn off the clue music and the clue proximity hint which vibrates your controller every time you go near a item. thats why I say you turn both of them off. There are so many items that can be picked up it gets a little crazy sometimes. You usually start by picking up the item that sparks your interest and then you rotate with the left stick till it vibrates or doesn't. If it does Cole will make a remark and then it will get recorded in your notebook. Once it gets recorded you can go deeper into investigating sometimes. For example, while investigating a dead body (which is shockingly realistic) you can check inside the coat pocket, pull out a wallet and then go further by looking inside for a card or picture. Once you collect all the evidence you think you need you can go and ask your partner to look for more or go to the first available witness. You start by picking a selection of topics and then have them answer, watch there facial reaction and choose if they are telling the truth. if they are not you select false and then select the evidence that proves it. If they are lieing but can't prove it you select doubt. You extract as much information as possible got to the next location or person and so on till you solve or dont solve the case. Every once in a while you'll get in a gunfight. if you played red dead you should feel at home but the sprint button is on the shoulder which is wierd. the on foot chases and car chases are also average. I also should not there is brawling which is like GTA but better. In one point the guy punches me and my hat flys off and when i passed back over it after the game Cole goes down and picks it up. There is also random occurrences like red dead but feel, like real missions.

Story

Each mission has its own story line but he whole thing focuses on Cole Phelps going through the ranks and having flashbacks.

Overall
9.5/10
Even though there is a lot more to say about this game my fingers hurt and I want to go back to playing. If you like Movies, Games, or Rockstar you should not miss it.
Joelfigbars
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: L.A Noire

Postby ploplyguy » Wed May 18, 2011 10:36 pm

Nice review... maybe update it once you beat the game. There has got to be a big over arching storyline so it would be good to update you Story section once you beat it.
ploplyguy
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Scott » Wed May 18, 2011 11:29 pm

A lot of reviews are written before the game is beaten. Some reviewers will just plow through a game to get it over with so they can review it but that system sucks. A game like LA Noire would be difficult to experience everything.

I didn't even know it was released yet. I thought it was another month. I want another tax refund... :D
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Joelfigbars » Thu May 19, 2011 5:33 pm

ploplyguy wrote:Nice review... maybe update it once you beat the game. There has got to be a big over arching storyline so it would be good to update you Story section once you beat it.

Yeah sorry about that. I'll update it when I'm finished.
Joelfigbars
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Scott » Sun May 29, 2011 1:03 am

You took off the vibration and chime? How the hell did you even play the game? :0

I rely on those two features, especially the vibration, for most the clue finding. Good job if you can do it without but some clues, such as the bullets in an early level, would be almost impossible to get without it.

My one and only gripe with LA Noire (so far) is the very seldom gunfights. They've obviously used the same mechanic as the GTA series, but regardless it is very tight. The tight controls make the gunfights feel very satisfying but there aren't enough of them. I didn't know what to expect so maybe I'm just thrown off. I don't mind that it is more of a thinking man's game yet I still like shooting stuff up.

Oh, and the facial animations are unbelievable. I now want this in every game. I have actually noticed some people I though I knew (as you mentioned) but I didn't know if they were using well known actors. I got some Googlin' to do.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Joelfigbars » Sun May 29, 2011 3:38 pm

Scott wrote:You took off the vibration and chime? How the hell did you even play the game? :0 ...My one and only gripe with LA Noire (so far) is the very seldom gunfights..

I also took the crime scene music off which stops when you found all the evidence. It takes me a while but I usually end up finding most of the evidence. If I don't I'll just check the report card at the end of the case and it'll tell you how much you missed. Also I like the gunfights (and chases) too but the sprint button is R2 and it feels weird. I'm at the vice cases right now, how far are you?
Joelfigbars
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Scott » Sun May 29, 2011 5:38 pm

I'm on the fifth excerpt in the BD case. I don't have too much trouble with the right trigger sprint.

Great game. Writing a collaborative article with the guys from AOTF on it right now.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Joelfigbars » Sun May 29, 2011 10:50 pm

I am not having trouble with it, it just seems like they could of put it on L3. And what's the article on?
P.S I'm not great with acronyms so I'm assuming you mean Attack of the Fan-boys
Joelfigbars
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Scott » Sun May 29, 2011 11:30 pm

Joelfigbars wrote:I am not having trouble with it, it just seems like they could of put it on L3.

Normally I'd agree but it's growing on me.

Joelfigbars wrote:And what's the article on? P.S I'm not great with acronyms so I'm assuming you mean Attack of the Fan-boys

It's on our opinions about the game after the hype has calmed down. It is Attack of the Fanboy :u:

I'll post a link if you're interested in commenting cause I'm sure they'll be a lot of people talking about it.

EDIT:

Here's that link: http://attackofthefanboy.com/community/ ... -la-noire/

EDIT:

Being a arson cop sucks :d:
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Scott » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:07 pm

I finally beat the story mode. Worst. Ending. Ever.

You finish it yet Joelfigbars?
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ploplyguy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:58 pm

uh oh... if there's a bad ending maybe I won't get it
ploplyguy
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Joelfigbars » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:03 pm

No but I'm almost there according to the Rockstar social club.
Joelfigbars
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Scott » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:43 pm

Joelfigbars wrote:No but I'm almost there according to the Rockstar social club.

I guess I wouldn't call it the worst ending ever. Actually, it's really good (big change on perspective I know). It has real balls and just like the rest of the game being new and different the ending is not expected. I don't mean aliens or anything I just mean you won't see it coming.

Took me a while to realize that :u:
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Wevans199 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:11 pm

Great Review! I love this game and I really do think it is bridging the gap between games and movies. My only major gripe was the Radio. In games with similar sound tracks (Mafia II, Fallout etc.) the soundtrack of period music has always been one of my favourite things. I found LA Noires radio quiet and forgettable. Its much more interesting to listen to Coles partner talking.
Wevans199
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Scott » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:46 am

Wevans199 wrote:My only major gripe was the Radio. In games with similar sound tracks (Mafia II, Fallout etc.) the soundtrack of period music has always been one of my favourite things. I found LA Noires radio quiet and forgettable. Its much more interesting to listen to Coles partner talking.

Really? I disagree completely. I'm in a blue's band and it's really cool to hear songs that we cover in the game.

She drinks whiskey like water. Gin like lemonade. How is that not great?
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Reviews